Tuesday

Zoey....aka "Trifecta" - It's a Rescue story, but she Renewed me!

This dog's name was Trifecta.  It was a temporary name given to her by "Orphans of the Storm" in Riverwoods, Il.  She was found on the streets of a local town nearby and rescued.  She's a pit bull. 
 
My daughter wanted a "puppy" - someone to hold, love and train.  She was showing me every puppy she could through local stores.  I told her we could get one, but it had to be an adoption.  That's when she changed her game and started visiting dogs down the street at Orphans.  I guess she was pretty determined
I think she visited there for two weeks before I even agreed to go look.....you kind of know this after being a mom for awhile..let the impulse pass.......but it didn't.    So after a bit of begging, I showed up....determined to nix whatever I could.
 
We passed dog after dog.  Some of the dogs were just too hyper, or barked too much.  Some seemed so timid and beat up......it was hard to look at them. 
 
Then we came upon "Trifecta".  Sophie (my daughter) had her hands inside the cage and the white puppy with brown markings and delicate light brown eyes with white lashes held her hand with her paws.  She was gentle and sweet.  She was also a little beat up....a cut here and there on her face.  In her attempt to connect with other pups, she had jumped up and over the crate fence and was met with resistance. 
 
I looked at the dog.  She was bigger than I wanted, but she was soft.  Her coloring was white with caramel and her temperament was gentle.  I stuck my hand in the pit bull's cage and she licked me.  It took a couple of visits (one with my almost 10 year old dog) to convince me to take her home. 

"Trifecta" is now known as Zoey.  She's a bit of an amazing dog.  I've never adopted a dog.....just gone to the local pet store or a breeder.  I do have to say there's a difference when I look into Zoey's eyes.  I know that I changed the course of her life.  I sense her appreciation and love.  I didn't know a lot about pit bulls when I adopted her and have since educated myself in a huge way.  In my own neighborhood within a few blocks there are over a dozen pit bull owners.   We kind of "find" eachother.
 
There is a wide variety of opinions about the breed.  I've known only one other pit bull personally and she was one of the most gentle sweet souls.  I would visit my brother and this dog slept in bed with me.  I remember thinking....."I'm sleeping with a pit bull!" 
My younger daughter had a very unique connection with her.  Lady's coloring was almost exactly the same as Trifecta's so when I saw my daughter connecting again with a pit bull very similar in color and demeanor I knew it was right.   It's a bit of a challenge owning this breed;  they are super strong, yet super gentle. She knows when to play and be rough and when to be gentle and attentive.  There are so many wonderful stories about pit bulls...here are a few....
 
Did you know Helen Keller's constant companion was a pit bull? 
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/17/pitbulls-landlord-discounts-rent_n_1790737.html 
 
It's easy to condemn an entire race because of one .....or a few.  It's easy to condemn an entire breed for the same reasons, but when you think about it...it makes no sense.  You can't condemn the human race because of a few...we are not all bad because of a few.  You can't condemn the animal kingdom or a breed because of a few. 
Watch these dogs...educate yourself because they instinctively know how to protect anyone who is being harmed - they are the champions of the "under-dog".  I would definitely want a pittie getting my back!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment