Wednesday

Circles

I recently
sat down
at a
potter's
wheel
and
"threw"
a pot. 
 
That's
what
they
 call it. 
Throwing.
It was an
entirely new
experience for me. 
My instructor sat to my left at her
wheel
and showed me exactly
how to position my body. 
As she showed me what to do
she used words like
"centering"
and
"opening". 
 
It took strength
and
concentration.
 More than I thought it would
and as I concentrated on keeping this arm here
and that hand there in one single second I had a feeling that I've never, ever
felt in my life. As I was attempting to create a perfect circle using as much muscle,
and as little muscle as possible, I felt in a very short moment  -  present.
This is the only way I can think to describe this.  I was completely present
and being present in that moment concentrating only on this one thing - to
create a perfect circle, I was complete.  In that instant, I looked at my instructor
and said something like, "whoa, this is incredible" and she got it immediately
replying, "yeah, I've had ministers who have taken my class and written sermons
about
   this."  
The
c
i
r
c
l
e
....... 
It
is
 ever
 present in my work (even if I try to make it into a straight line). 
 

When I was 8, my father
died in a car crash.  It was due to a blown out tire.  When I was 50, I had a show
called "Mapping Memories" with a fellow artist, Kevin Lucero Less, a very
talented fellow.   My partner came up with  "Mapping Memories" and we both explored
the map.  "Lucy" (as he likes to be called) explored Memory Territories with a
collection of painted pieces and a video.  His pieces were precise - super precise
like a map.  His video was called "Re-en-act-ment" a touching story about loss. 
The interesting thing is that we didn't talk much about what I was going to
do or what he was going to do for the show.  The 'map' piece seemed to
have it's own agenda and that agenda brought our work together. 
My pieces were tires.  Yeah...big, black circles
that I reworked to re-make my tragic memory into something else.
 
My pieces (in comparison) were messy with dripping paint. 
 
The circle.
It keeps reappearing in my work
and every single time it's like
a
 big
 hug
       when      
   I 
see
it's
arrival 
.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment